Thursday, May 24, 2007

Colouring books


I've just finished the artwork for a special colouring book commission. The focus is pretty much on nostalgia, and I had a lot of fun doing the work. People who've known me for a while may have had a chance to go out to Port Colborne to see my Grandmother. (That's where I got my cat, Punk Rock Girl.) My grandmother was a collector to put other pack rats to shame. So I was very comfortable looking at lots of the old imagery I needed to assemble the book. I tried to capture an old-timey feel to the works as well, by using brush and ink, rather than markers or pens. The cool thing is, I had just received the smaller brushes I used so extensively from Virginia. She'd just returned from Korea, so these things were the real deal. When I had brought the work to the Strega for my meeting with my client, June-Etta spotted me, and gave me some similar brushes from her own collection. I have also been using some of these brushes lately in my Wednesday night art classes. These gifts are truly appreciated. I may also be getting another commission soon from another client. Let's all cross ourfingers and eat our vegetables folks!

On another note, I was on CBC on the 14th! I've heard about it from someone different every day since then exccept for Sunday, when I went into hiding to work on the colouring book pictures! Sometime around the 9th, a very busy day, I had fired off an email to the CBC about the 7 Wonders of Canada, and they liked my idea enough to send out a camera crew to film me quoting myself. My brother taped it, but I doubt I can post video tape at this point.



Tomorrow I am supposed to be photographed for an article in Niagara Magazine regarding the Art Under Glass series. Let's hope I don't melt in the heat before the cameras arrive. I got a decent sunburn out in the cornfield for the CBC, but I've recovered. One of Ann's cold iced teas ought to take care of me.

No comments: