Monday, June 04, 2007

Art of Peace Festival


I met with Elizabeth Chitty today for the Art of Peace Festival. There will be bands, art activities and speeches, all about art. Elizabeth asked me to emcee 2 years ago and I've been doing it ever since.

Steve Saturn set off a smoke alarm in Port Colborne today, using the cotton candy machine. What an albatross that thing is. Every one of us dreads carrying the thing up the stairs to classrooms because there are so many large pieces. The thing sends wisps of sugar into the air, and sometimes the smoke detectors can't distinguish sugar from smoke. All the kids and all the staff had to leave the building until the firemen let us back in. Then I had to finish off my class with indoor fireworks!

Normally on Monday nights I would have been meditating with my kagyu group. We have switched to Sundays now, so Fred can continue teaching without being miserable right after a chemo session. Pascal and his daughter came out for the first time yesterday. Pascal has a wee bag of sand from a Tibetan mandala made in Buffalo during the Dalai Lama's last visit, and he was looking for a group to share with him when he releases it's blessing into some running water. We might try to get some people together at the end of the Peace Festival. Or, not.


I've included a couple of pen drawings I did last night in Port Dalhouisie. Ron and I got caught up over a couple of pints. I kind of like the inky blots. So much visual culture is so slick lately. I really like the proof of a thing being made by a hand. There were drawn on the inside of a beer ad thingy that I had to open up to scan. It was a challenge to draw on the inside of this triangle table display thing. The humidity in the air made the glue come apart easily for scanning.




No comments: