Monday, March 05, 2007

Time to watch Mork and Mindy

Saturday I gave myself permission to teach 5 year old art students how to make their own spray paint devices. My caveat is that I imagine they won't be able to remember how to assemble the straws due to their distraction at how COOL spraying the paint on the paper can be. Most of the fluid has dissolved the glue in the tape by the time they were done, as most of them leave their tools in the paint dishes when not being used. Science and Art meet again! Mwah ha ha!

On Sunday, the band Oliver Black was booked in to film a music video at the Mansion House. I arrived at 6:30 a. m. to prepare the space and let the crew in. They were using real 35mm film, not video.The lead guitarist, Nicolas Lesyk, told me that while the band was writing their album down in Texas, he learned a few cooking tricks using habanero peppers. You pierce the pepper pod a few times before cooking it with your rice. This allows the pepper flavour to infuse the rice without overpowering the rice's natural graces with all the heat. The pod can be cut up later and added to another dish. This is the kind of information that makes an 18 hour workday worth the effort. The band and film crew were both remarkably gracious and professional at the end of the day. I was thanked personally by every single one of them. I really appreciate that. Sometimes i find that element of professionalism lacking in the Board of education system. (Not St. Michael's Grade 1 classes with Mrs. Billard and Mrs. Boutin!).

Tonight, I am skipping group meditation to take a cooking course: Beans, Greens and Grains.

Before going to bed last night, I watched a few episodes of Mork and Mindy on DVD, before going to bed, and I decided that Mork/Robin Williams may have invented a precursor to the emoticon, with spoken phrases like: "Heavy sigh" interjected into his dialogue. And how come I couldn't remember Mork saying "Sit on my face" to Mindy back in the day? Was I too young? Her facial expression showed a lot of surprise!

No comments: