Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"Let me grab my shovel."

One of my favourite companies is moving. Are See Aye is a fantasy company for me: they make giant dinosaurs for museums around the world. I would very much love to work for them, and I have a lot of skills they could use. Years ago, I visited the company's building, once or twice, while I worked at a pottery in Beamsville. Not all of their employees want to go to the new town, so I imagine they may be hiring new artistans to replace them. This week I have been evaluating what keeps me in St. Catharines, when so many people my age and in my field have flown the coop. In case I want to apply for a job....
I love what I do. This week I realised that at the end of every day I am tired, but if I got the call at 5 pm to go out and do it some more for a few hours, I would say 'yes' without whining, complaining or batting an eye. Like the time I called my Grandma and asked if she'd like to get some wild roses; first thing out of her mouth was: "Let me grab my shovel."
People regularly tell me that I am lucky to be doing what I do. (Personally? Luck plus the hours I put into what I do, are actually what lets me do what I do.)
Art Under glass at the 2 cafes is just interesting enough to keep me meeting new artists every month. I am even building a small collection of artwork by other people that I like. I used to say, "Why would I buy art when I could make it myself?"
I also say: "It's not the place, it's the people."
Who and where are the people who are important to me? Would I actually see them less if I moved 4 hours away?
Rent wouldn't ever be an issue if I worked for Are See Eye. But would I be able to scour used book stores on a whim? Shop for groceries at a Phillipine grocery? A Chinese grocery? A Polish deli? Would I have a place to grow my peppers?
Art classes are fun to teach, but I could easily set new classes up in any town I moved to. And I am used to making my own art supplies if I need to, so I wouldn't feel tied to a town with a Curry's. Besides, the most glorious pair of words in the world are still "Road Trip!"
I'm not sure how much time I can even afford to daydream about this, but I am enjoying contemplating both sides of the issue.
orphan bird aware
icy sheet between us
sunrise through the snow

No comments: