Saturday, January 13, 2007

Books books books

On Thursday night someone finally snagged the Leonard Cohen. Let's hope they get a posting into the Bookcrossing website, and not leave us hanging.

Yesterday I picked up a 1st edition Out of This World by Lowell Thomas Jr. at an antique store for $5. Published in 1950, it tells the story of 2 Americans going to Tibet before the Chinese invasion, just before. The book has a gazillion pictures, including some nice ones of the Dalai Lama before he left for India. I've already read Forbidden Journey by Ella K. Maillart, so it will be nice to compare the two.

My brother dropped off a brand new copy of The Practice of Vajrakilaya by Khenpo Namdrol, now that I've received the empowerment.

And! To top it off, Value Village had an odd book - The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ, by Levi. Looks like Jesus went to Tibet in the missing years. Who knew? There's a whole chapter telling about Him in India. Anyone else notice how much the word "Brahma" looks like "Abraham"? I've always thought that the baptism by dunking looked like the dunking in the Ganges you see in India. Maybe John the Baptist was a transplanted Hindu?
I also snagged a couple of old cookbooks from the 50s for my mom. One has some seafood recipes from Maine. Cheese on your fish, anyone?

I'm still reading Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das.
Scored a $10 tip at today's birthday party. I'd like to thank April or Kyle for putting the space on the form marked "Tip?" because it gives the clients the hint in a subtle but not too subtle manner.

No comments: