Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Walpola Rahula

I found 2 identical books today at the Value Village: "What The Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. I will release them soon with a Bookcrossing ID # somewhere in my travels. Both books have been underlined, or highlighted, but differently. The irony hasn't escaped me, that 2 individuals have found it necessary to emphasize different elements in the dharma. The book is already a selection of writings from the Dhammapada and various Suttas. So many of the teachings are still untranslated into English. When I ponder how much of the knowledge in the world will always escape me for whatever reason, I feel like I am shopping in a grocery store, but only allowed to purchase items from a single aisle. Then that turns in on iteself, and I appreciate the wonders of the small experiences I do have. Like Thoreau in Walden, I have travelled a great deal in Niagara.On taht note, does anyone have any idea what books Thoreau read to inspire him? Besides Emerson? I'm certain he read some sort of Eastern philosophical texts; maybe Hindu, maybe Buddhist.

No comments: