Thursday, January 18, 2007

I broke my car twice yesterday.

The ice is still covering lots of the landscape around here, making trees seem crystalline. I had to remove ice from my sideview mirroron my car, and it wouldn't scrape away. My car is not as pretty covered in ice as the local flora. Thinking only of tapping the ice away with my snow brush, I broke it. At first the surface looked like a large spiderweb. The ice held fast, so I tapped it again. This time the foil on the mirror broke away from the glass underneath the ice, and the reflected image scattered in every direction. The mirror was broken. Later that day, i also managed to close my door too hard and knock the hook out from the latch on my door. My mechanic got it all fixed though. Now my mirror is blue, while my car is gold.

I drove to my school to meet with the teachers for Learning Through The Arts. One teacher remembered me from a class I had designed for a summer camp years ago at the Pumphouse in Niagara-on-the-Lake. She wanted to adapt the idea for her Grade 3 class. Her children still have the project around the house. Who am I to argue? The project is a bit of a pet for me, so I agreed. Here it is: The students design their own chess set! I will add details later, so I don't just waste time typing while I'm online. (I still use dial-up!)

Today I met with a photographer who wants to show at the Art Under Glass. He brought a selection from his portfolio, and we narrowed it down to a series he shot of blues musicians from Kansas City. We'll set his show up to coincide with the Grape & Wine Festival in September. (Only real old-timers and locals will call it Grape & Wine Festival. That's how you can tell us apart from new people.) He'll play some blues on guitar at some point as well. I'm looking forward to it. He also has some cool shots of ships and boats in the canals.

No comments: