Friday, January 19, 2007

Renga

I bumped into an artist/friend at the mall today. We talked about how the mere fact of having booked yourself for a gallery show sets a fire under your tuckus, and encourages you to make art. She had an artist/designer friend with her. We chatted about booking a show, and the creative process, and in doing so, my best idea yet came to me.

I've already booked myself for July, and I know I want to do lino cuts, but use composite vinyl tiles (CVT). While blabbing about lesson planning, I remembered the Haiku stuff I taught at Mary Ward School in the Falls. Here's some background: Haiku started off like a rap battle - the first three lines are meant to start it off, and the second person needs to respond with more lines.

Here's a paragraph from Wikipedia:
Renga is a form of Japanese collaborative poetry. A renga consists of at least two ku or stanzas, often many more. The opening stanza of the renga chain, called the hokku, later became the basis for the modern haiku style of poetry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renga

Well, I now intend to find haiku on the web, likely from blog sources, and respond to them with images. I do not intend to illustrate these poems, but go to a next step in some way. Then the CVT cuts will be printed and displayed at the Strega.
It is nice to talk with other artists.

No comments: